Thursday, January 20, 2005

The joy of driving

Today, I experienced a sincerely wholesome feeling. A feeling equal to staying awake until 4:00 am at a LAN. I got my license.

This entire experience of earning a license, the final high point where all your vast driving wisdom is tapped, started long ago (yesterday). I went to the DMV, which is actually in the middle of nowhere (and probably designed by the some boneheads who drew up CV). I don't like the DMV, because they issue you a number upon arrival. Perhaps this is rationally important, but it really just makes me feel like a customer at McDonalds. You press this small button and a receipt pops out that identifies you as #60. After waiting for all of the DMV employees to get the correct volume for the subliminal background music (evlis) they yell out your number. They could use an advanced sound system so all 3 customers in the DMV could hear, but I suppose that would interfere with the Elvis music.

The guy who helped me at the counter looked extremely T.O.'d. He looked nice enough, but his demeanor expressed a kind of "I don't like working for the DMV" mindset. This helped me to relax more before the test. (sarcasm). I opted to take the safety/written/touch screen test first, because I had a few minutes to kill. I hopped onto machine 1 and the T.O.'d dude said "go ahead". I answered question 1 fine (basic speed law) but crapped out on 2 (what happens first when you drink alcohol. I'd say... you come 'this much closer' to passing out but the correct answer was it impairs your judgement. Judgement smudgement). I went on like this, and eventually failed the test at question 17. This staved me.

I still took the drivers test. After waiting for several minutes in the "drivers test" section of the parking lot, an older woman came out to test me. Things I did wrong in my test:

1) I drove on to the curb

After doing this, my heart dropped into my pancreas and my mouth went like this "whoosh". I slowly turned toward the instructor, but she appeared to be unaffected by my mishap. "Maybe she didn't notice", I thought to myself. I put the car in reverse and started moving back when the car went "whoosh" and dropped a total of 173 inches. I almost wet my pants.

My instructor didn't say anything, so I did the rest of my test with that "almost wet your pants" feeling that only occurs when you almost wet your pants. Otherwise I did fine.

Today I retook the Safety test and got 17/20. I managed to answer the Beer question correctly this time. Call me a genius.

I plan on utilizing my new license by driving to cool places such as any store starting with Best and ending in Buy. And La Roca. For the record, my license picture makes me look like Ronald Reagen.


No, not really.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

hehe, Hey, Reagan was one of the best presidents ever. So nice to compliment yourself like that!! Know that God will show you how to use this new freedom to help others... Take care,

January 26, 2005 at 10:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home